7.22.2011

Last Transfusion

So things got a little hairy.  In short, I was a little more uncomfortable during this procedure, apparently got all pass-out-y, blood pressure plummeted, so Geo's heart rate dropped and things went a little south. I remember the table tipping hard to the left in an effort to snap him out of it, a bright light going on, I heard, "I think we're looking at a section" and a flurry of activity.  If you've ever had some drinks and experienced a sobering moment, just know that it can happen with anesthesia, too.  Oh, I woke the heck up.  Fortunately, Geo rallied and his heart rate came back up, but the rest of the procedure was called off.
I'm so, so freaking glad that we were here for this and not in NYC.  The main difference that we had been worried about was the level of preparation and prevention.  We felt that in NYC, they wouldn't be doing enough to prevent something like this and in the event that it happened, they wouldn't have had the luxury of the few minutes of decision time because they weren't as prepared. I have no doubt whatsoever that this would have been finished right now if we had transfered to NYC.
I've laughed to myself every time we went to what has become our traditional BBQ place here... their motto is, "You might give some serious thought to thanking your lucky stars you're in Texas."  You'd better believe I sure as heck do.

No comments: